In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Purple Hyacinth with Emphemerys & Sophism
The Comic Source Podcast
- Background with comics
- Deciding to become a creator
- Previous Work
- Purple Hyacinth
- Give us an idea of what the story is all about
- Significance of the title – Any research into the flower meaning?
- Eph – Can you talk a little bit about the setting? Victorian? Time Period?
- Sophism – What about the design of the world both in terms of the physical setting, building’s etc but also the costumes?
- How about the politics of the world can you shed some light on that?
- I also wanted to ask about the police wearing masks, that seems quite unique.
- Let’s talk about the characters, will you please give us a rundown of the main players so far?
- Is Lauren’s power unique or will we see others with powers as well?
- Her power is interesting to me because it gives her an advantage in terms of what is true or not, but she also has no context many times so her information is still incomplete.
- It also interesting because the truth in our own world, especially as it pertains to politics has become such a focal point recently, happy accident or did you draw upon the recent real world concerns about what is the truth?
- Eph – Talk to us a bit about the early stages of fleshing out the idea for the story, was it a quick process or did it evolve slowly?
- Can you go through your work flow of creating an episode? How the collaboration works?
- Soph – Graphically the style is very kinetic and impactful while at the same time very minimal at times, especially in terms of backgrounds, what led to those choices?
- Tell us how the project ended up at WEBTOON
- Transitioning to Featured
- Did the strip find an audience right away or did it take time?
- The strip really seems to have something for everyone, is there an audience that maybe isn’t reading the strip that you think should give it a try?
- Any favorite fan/reader interactions?
- Talk to us about the editorial support for WEBTOON, how is it most valuable to you?
- How have you enjoyed interacting with the WEBTOON creator community?
- Anything else to add?
ABOUT THE CREATORS
Ephemerys – Your daily blood and gore enthusiast, torturing Sophism with non-stop scripts
Sophism – Can’t stand the sight of gore, but stuck drawing for Ephemerys.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #