In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Brimstone & Roses with Mei Rothschild
The Comic Source Podcast
- Background with Comics
- Education & becoming a creator
- Previous work
- Brimstone and Roses
- Tell our listeners what the story is about
- Rundown of main characters
- Gender roles in the story
- Supernatural aspects of the story
- Demons seem to be accepted as a matter of fact
- Talk to us about exploring relationships
- Balancing realism with likeability
- What have been your biggest challenges with bringing this strip to life?
- Tell us about your process for creating the look of the characters and world
- What development visually are you the most proud of and what if anything visually are you still trying to refine?
- How much has your work as a storyboard artist helped you with this project and it what ways?
- Despite the existence of demons and some pretty heavy relationship topics, the strip comes across as very positive and hopeful, a lot of that has to go with the colors, can you talk a little about that?
- Give us your thoughts on WEBTOON as a platform?
- What do you feel that WEBTOON offers that is unique and that other aspiring creators should take advantage of?
- How has the reception been for the strip?
- Are there any fan interactions that have stood out so far?
- Anything else to add?
About the Creator – Mei Rothschild
Like any native Louisianian, Mei’s primary concerns were alligators and what was for dinner that night, but soon began to incorporate artistic progression. Coming from such a culturally unique state, the vibrant colors have been a huge influence in her pieces and she is constantly experimenting with intense colors and lighting.
Mei’s interests lie in character design, concept art, and illustration. She takes inspiration from heavily plot driven video games and cartoons and when producing her own comics, leans towards the dalse sense of security in storytelling with humorous and light-hearted plots with much deeper meaning behind them. Part of Mei’s personal mission statement is the celebration of inclusivity in popular media.
She has worked as a freelance artist on social media since she was 16 and has worked with a myriad of customers in interpreting their characters to bring them to life.She is currently wrtiing and creating the webcomic Brimstone and Roses on WEBTOON.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 60 million monthly active users, with north of 15 million daily readers, and more than 100,000,000,000 views annually – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Launched in 2014, WEBTOON has become a cultural phenomenon pioneering the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with The Jim Henson Company, Crunchyroll, Legendary Comics, POW!, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, nominated for twelve Ringo Awards in 2019 – winner of three. In November 2019, WEBTOON turned on their Spanish-language service within the app launching the new setting with 25 translated Originals. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4