In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Let’s Play Season Two with Leeanne “Mongie” Krecic
The Comic Source Podcast
- Remind everyone about your background and how you got started with Let’s Play and WEBTOON
- Let’s Play
- What’s the strip about?
- Now that you have a full season under your belt, how do you feel looking back at that portion of the story?
- What was the biggest surprise for you as a creator over the first 75 episodes?
- Is it easy for you to see how you’ve improved as a creator over time?
- Did the break recharge you creatively? Were you anxious to get back?
- The first episode of Season 2 exploded right away, Is it fair to say the fans were anxiously awaiting it return?
- The story touches on so many genres, but story is nothing without character and you clearly have made these characters ones that people care about, can you talk a little about that?
- Has it sunk in yet just how talented you are in terms of crafting a story? It’s one thing to have a hook, but based on the popularity of the strip it’s clear that you have something beyond a compelling story and interesting characters.
- Something else that points to the popularity of the strip is the successful Kickstarter you ran so fans of Let’s Play could have it in print. Can you tell us a little about that campaign?
- If someone missed the Kickstarter but still wants to get Let’s Play in print is it available anywhere?
- Let’s look forward a bit to Season Two, can you give us an idea of what to expect for Sam and the gang?
- One thing you are exploring throughout the story is the idea of Mental Health or Mental Illness, Sam certainly has some anxieties and issues. What made you decide to add in this aspect of the story?
- One of the things I like about how you are approaching the prospect of Mental Health Issues, is by removing the stigma of it in the story. Do you feel that is an important step we need to address this issue and for those dealing with their own mental health?
- In terms of visuals as you head into the Second Season can you look back and see how your art has evolved over time?
- Any tricks or advice you would pass along to aspiring digital comic creators?
- Talk a little about the fan community and the interactions you have had over the last 6 months or so since you were first on?
- Have you had a chance to connect with more WEBTOON creators recently? Do they ask for advice in taking their strip next level?
- What advice would you give to an aspiring comic creator digital or otherwise?
- Anything else to add?
Coming September 3rd
LET”S PLAY Animated Short
On the WEBTOON YouTube Channel
About the Creator
Leeanne Krecic aka “Mongrel Marie”, aka “Mongie” is an illustrator, concept artist, ex-code-monkey, part-time amazonian princess, lvl17 elven-mage, retired tuba player, and a up-and-coming manga artist. Living in Kansas City, Mongie has read and studied manga for 18 years and has numerous educational videos and articles discussing manga creation, character design, and story-building. Her artwork can be seen on IGN, AdultSwim, YouTube, Freeblades, and ImagineFX Magazine.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 15 million daily readers, and more than 100,000,000 views annually – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #