In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Acception with Coco Ouwerkerk
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with Coco Ouwerkerk, the creator behind Acception. A slice of life story about being true to yourself, accepting who you are and those around you and of course the adventures every teen experiences in school.
- Background with comics, grow up reading them
- Transitioning to a creator
- Previous work
- Tell us what the story is all about
- What is it about this story that made you want to create a strip about it?
- Where do you draw the inspiration for the characters?
- How much of the characters experiences are drawn from your life?
- What was the most challenging part when you first started in terms of getting the strip off the ground? World building? Character creation?
- Do you have any idea of how long the strip might run?
- Do you have an ending in mind?
- The end of season one had a pretty big real life situation come up, will that by the focus of season two?
- Talk to us about the origins of the story, was it a matter of themes and ideas you wanted to present? Was it the characters who came to mind first and you adapted them to the story you wanted to tell?
- How has the reaction been from the fan base?
- Has there been a particular fan interaction that stands out in your mind?
- How has your experience been working with WEBTOON?
- Is WEBTOON big in The Netherlands?
- Have you had a chance to meet any other WEBTOON creators?
- If you could go back and start this journey over, is there anything you would change or do differently? Maybe some advice you would give to an aspiring creator so they can avoid that mistake?
- Anything else to share?
Creator Bio – Coco Ouwerkerk
Coco Ouwerkerk is a Dutch comics artist and 2D animator, also known under the pen name Colourbee. She is a representative of the Dutch doujinshi manga scene, and the author of the high school comic ‘Acception’ (2017). Her work focuses on fantasy, animals and soul searching people.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #