In this episode we discuss
WEBTOON WEDNESDAY – Cape of Spirits with Kristina Nguyen
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with the creator of a new WEBTOON that has everyone talking, Kristina Nguyen joins to tell us all about Cape of Spirits. It’s an Action-Fantasy series with an intriguing concept of powers & special abilities.
Cape of Spirits
Plot & Art – Kristina Nguyen, Scripts – Elie Byun
Cape of Spirits
- History with Comics
- Previous work
- Cape of Spirits
- Give us an idea of what the story is all about?
- Tell us about your collaborator on the project
- I am intrigued by the coins that feature prominently in the story can you talk a little more about them?
- Do you work digitally or traditionally?
- Tell us about your process for character design
- Were there any characters that were particularly challenging to get right from a design perspective?
- Are there any designs you discovered needed to be changed as you got more familiar with the characters now that 10 episodes are out?
- What are some of the inspirations you are drawing on visually for the look of the strip?
- What is your favorite thing to illustrate in the strip? Action? Quieter moments? Environment?
- Are there certain themes you are looking to explore in the story and if so what might they be?
- Anything coming up in the story that has you really excited?
- Tell us about your experience with WEBTOON, how did Cape of Spirits land there?
- Would you recommend WEBTOON as platform for aspiring creators?
- What is the one thing you learned early on that you would tell other creators to avoid?
- Anything else to share?
Kristina Nguyen Bio
Kristina N. is an illustrator living in California, who enjoys eating good food and being a hermit with her dog. Previously a concept and background artist, she is now pursuing her dream to become a comic artist.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4