In this episode we discuss;
Webtoon Wednesday – Caster with Austin Harrison
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace is joined by Austin Harrison from Noble Transmission a digital media company creating new and exciting characters and stories, to discuss the Webtoon series Caster. A globe-trotting adventure featuring the likeness and music of Common.
- History with Comics
- Tell us about your journey to creator specifically digital media
- Previous work
- Tell our listeners what the story is about
- How did you get involved in the project
- This strip has more creative minds working on it than any other strip we’ve covered, what are some of the advantages of that?
- What are the challenges involved with such a large team
- Tell us a little about Common’s contributions to the project and story
- The soundtrack for the strip is an interesting addition, how do you feel it enhances the reading experience
- Can you walk us through the visual development with Jason Masters for character design and visual world building?
- What are you feelings about the vertical format?
- The story itself seems very inspired by things like National Treasure or Indiana Jones, what was the overall feel and tone you were going for?
- Caster is such an interesting character, will we see him return for further adventures?
- What has been your favorite part of working on this project personally?
- How do you feel about the Webtoon platform overall?
- Would you recommend Webtoon for aspiring creators in terms of getting there work out there?
- How do you feel the digital publishing model might evolve over the next decade?
- Anything else to share with our listeners?
Austin Harrison is a comic book IP creator. Titles include being the co-creator of “CASTER” featuring the likeness of and music from Academy Award, 3x Grammy, and Emmy Award Winner Common, “BUCK”, and “Wild Blue Yonder” – which was featured as “App of the Day” and “Apps We Love” by Apple. Austin Harrison directed the “Wild Blue Yonder” animation featuring the voices of Gerard Butler, Evan Peters, Zoey Deutch, Ed Harris, Jeffrey Wright, Mireille Enos, Cress Williams, Emily Osment, Taylor Handley, and Anna Akana.
Past projects include being hired by Hasbro to develop “The Transformers” TV series.
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #