In this episode we discuss;
The Comic Source Podcast
Webtoon Wednesday: – Bluechair Spotlight with Shen
Jace chats with Shen, one of the first North American creators on Webtoon and his humor/slice of life strip Bluechair
- Give us your background, Grow up reading comics? Strips?
- When did you decide you wanted to be a cartoonist?
- What were some of the biggest challenges you faced?
- Tell us about Bluechair
- Where did the idea come from to do such a slice of life/random thought strip?
- Your release schedule is pretty fast paced, do you ever struggle to come up with ideas?
- Was it a hit right away?
- How surprised were you that Bluechair took off?
- Was there a particular moment where something happened and it made you realize that you had “made it”?
- What are some of your other strips that people may want to check out?
- Why Webtoons?
- Aren’t strips traditionally a print medium? Why digital?
- What are some of your favorite aspects and features of Webtoons?
- What advice would you give to a cartoonist looking to break in?
- Strips are so different than more long form comics, but Webtoons sort of bridges the gap between the two by the way it is formatted, what are your thoughts about the format?
- What ways do you think the format is an improvement on the traditional comic book page?
- Anything else you would like to share with our listeners?
- Social Media
Shen, aka shencomix, started out as a cartoonist for his college newspaper in Boston and eventually rose to internet fame with his memeable comics whilst working as a programmer. Shen currently publishes Bluechair and Live with Yourself on Webtoon.
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #