In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Room of Swords with Toonimated
The Comic Source Podcast
- History with Comics
- Previous work
- Room of Swords
- Give us an idea of what the story is about
- How long have you been developing the series?
- Can you give us some insight into the title Room of Swords and why you chose it?
- What made you decide to go with a mix of genres? There’s a bit of fantasy, sci-fi, even video games
- How about a run down of the main characters?
- Talk about the video game aspect and how that informs the narrative. You really make us of a lot of familiar video game type concepts
- Has the story changed at all from the initial concept?
- Do you have an ending in mind?
- It seems like it is a big challenge to give all the characters time to shine and evolve with such a big diverse cast, can you tell us how you balance that
- Take us through the process for a typical episode?
- The art is very unique, how was the look of the series developed?
- You also use some limited motion visuals in the strip, what was the thinking behind that?
- How do you decide what to animate?
- What aspects of the series resonate most with readers?
- Did they series catch on right away or was it a slow build up?
- The story and characters feel very compelling right from the start, was that something you consciously worked on pre-launch?
- Talk about what you like best about the WEBTOON fan community
- Have you had a chance to meet any other WEBTOON creators?
- Would you recommend WEBTOON for aspiring creators?
- What do you like best about WEBTOON as a platform?
- Anything else to add?
ABOUT THE CREATORS
Toonimated is a team formed by two married artists. Julian and Tara met in art college and have spent 10 years working in the video game industry for companies such as Nintendo, EA, Zynga and Hasbro. Currently, they are working on the featured Webtoon “Room of Swords” and raising a beautiful baby boy together.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 15 million daily readers, and more than 100,000,000 views annually – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #