In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Fever King with Victoria Lee
The Comic Source Podcast
THe Comic Source Podcast
The Fever King
- Give us your history with art & sequential storytelling?
- Did you always want to make a comic?
- Other work?
- The Fever King
- Give us an idea of what the story is about
- What was the impetus of the idea?
- How long did you develop it?
- Can you give us a run down on the main characters?
- This political climate in the book is very topical in today’s world, can you talk a bit about that?
- Specifically what are some of the ideas you want to explore?
- What made WEBTOON the right fit for this story when it came time to adapt it?
- Can you talk a bit about your collaboration with Sara Deek? Did you two gel right away?
- Take us through your workflow with Sara for a typical episode?
- Do you feel the vertical scroll enhances the story or is it a big challenge?
- What is the biggest challenge in adapting a prose story to WEBTOON?
- Talk to us about your experience with WEBTOON?
- Has the strip found an audience already?
- What was the biggest surprise for you in terms of putting the story out on WEBTOON?
- Have you had any reader reactions that have stood out?
- When you were prepping the strip did you get the chance to reach out to any other WEBTOON creators for advice?
- Is there anything you learned that you would pass along to other aspiring creators considering using WEBTOON?
- Anything else to share?
About Victoria Lee
Victoria Lee grew up in Durham, North Carolina, where she spent twelve ascetic years as a vegetarian before discovering spicy chicken wings are, in fact, a delicacy. She’s been a state finalist competitive pianist, a hitchhiker, a pizza connoisseur, an EMT, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. She’s also a bit of a snob about fancy whisky.
Victoria writes early in the morning, then spends the rest of the day trying to impress her border collie puppy and make her experiments work.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 15 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop. For more information please visit WEBTOON.
# # #