In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Rebirth with Michi
The Comic Source Podcast
- Tell us about your history with comics, did you grow up reading them?
- When did you decide to make the transition to creator
- Any previous work, we should be aware of
- Tell us what the story is all about
- Where did you get the Inspiration for the strip
- Blending Genres, you are really mashing up a lot of traditional comic book archetypes, Zombies, Post Apocalyptic survival, superpowers and even some time travel, can you talk a little about the?
- Does it feel like a big challenge to balance all these ideas and make sure they all get sufficient space to be explored?
- Is it also a challenge with such a large cast to be sure we get to know everyone enough to care about what happens to them?
- How has the story evolved over time or are you still staying pretty close to your originally plot?
- I imagine there is also a challenge of pacing in terms of the mysteries in the story, how much to reveal each episode to keep the reader engaged but not giving too much away too fast
- Even without all the fantastical elements, this is a family with a lot of drama. What was your thinking in building so much dysfunction in them inherently?
- Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of the strip is the idea of going back to do things over, but not in the way most people might think, the stakes are much higher here. How do you feel about that and how did readers respond to that early on?
- Can you talk a little about developing the visual design of the strip
- Can you tell us about deciding to give Discover a try
- How did you go about building a fan base when you started?
- What has been your experience interacting with the fan base?
- Have you had the chance to meet any other Webtoon creators?
- Do you have any WEBTOON strips that you enjoy, that you can recommend?
- Anything else to share?
About the Creator
Commonly known as Michi. I have 2 guinea pigs, 1 dog, 1 gecko, and too many distractions in my life.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #