In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Muted with Miranda Mundt
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with Miranda Mundt about her strip Muted. Exploring the idea of fitting in, finding your own identity and being who you truly are, especially with your family, as we celebrate Pride Month, this is a great time to dive into this strip.
- Comics background – when did you discover them
- First thoughts on becoming a creator
- Previous work
- Give us an idea of what the title is about
- Why the name Muted
- Talk to us about the main characters?
- How much of yourself is in Camille?
- You are really still just at the beginning of the story can you tell us some of the mysteries you are exploring?
- It seems like you are going to be exploring some themes of responsibility, both personal and familial, can you talk a little about that?
- I think a lot of young people can relate to the idea of duty and feeling trapped by it, is that an idea you want to explore as well?
- Finally in terms of relatable ideas to explore, especially for younger readers, feeling like you don’t have a place in the world, fitting in, that seems to be a struggle for Camille like it is for a lot of us, right?
- Let’s talk a little about the art, what is your process like?
- How would you describe the style you use for Muted?
- Who are some of your biggest artistic influences?
- Anything that has you particularly excited that is coming up in the strip?
- How did the strip end up at WEBTOON?
- Did it take off right away or has the growth been a bit slower?
- Talk to us about reader reaction, what has been the best part for you?
- Have you been enjoying being part of the WEBTOON creator community?
- What do you feel makes that community so special?
- Anything else to share?
Creator Bio – Miranda Mundt
A Seattle illustrator and wannabe animator on YouTube. Miranda spends 90% of her time at home drawing and playing video games with her roommates, 6 cats, and 2 dogs.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #