In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Gourmet Hound with Leehama
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with the creator of Gourmet Hound, a fun strip that mixes food and slice of life with a sprinkle of romance to create an engrossing read.
- Comics background – when did you discover them
- First thoughts on becoming a creator
- Previous work
- Gourmet Hound
- Give us an idea of what the story is all about
- Has the story expanded from your original idea at this point or are you still telling the story you originally envisioned?
- Food is obviously a huge part of the narrative, has it always been an interest of yours?
- Tell us about building out the original idea and narrative, mixing food with romance and perhaps a bit of slice of life?
- Talk to us about some of the characters and how inclusive you are in your story
- You have incorporated the idea of food & cooking on TV as well as competitive cooking shows which is interesting because some foodie’s love them and others think they are not helpful to the culinary world, but your characters reflect both sides of this argument, what was behind this part of the story?
- Can we talk a little about your art? What is your process like?
- Is there a particular part of the visuals that is a challenge?
- What part of the visual process do you enjoy most when illustrating your story?
- Your style seems to be pretty traditionally manga, but you have the added aspect of illustrating the food. That must be very fun and challenging?
- You are going on a brief hiatus soon, what do you want to tease your readers with upon the strips return? What can they expect?
- How have you enjoyed the WEBTOON experience?
- Would you recommend the platform for other aspiring creators?
- How have you enjoyed the instant feedback you get from your readers?
- Any favorite reactions or moments with your fans, either in real life or on-line?
- Have you had the opportunity to meet any other WEBTOON creators?
- Anything else to share?
Leehama is an indie creator based in Hawaii. She loves food, science, and thoughtful storytelling, and is probably listening to a podcast right now.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #