In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – My Dear Cold Blooded King with Kate “Lifelight”
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with Kate about her romance strip for WEBTOON My Dear Cold Blooded King
- Background with Comics
- Previous work
- My Dear Cold-Blooded King
- What’s the story all about?
- Why romance and why this story?
- Expectations, both from without & within?
- How did you find the voices for the characters?
- Were any characters particularly tough to get right in terms of characterization?
- How much of a challenge was the world building?
- Can you talk a little about our visual style and how you chose it?
- What was the thinking behind adding in the simpler line art illustrations?
- How do you feel about the vertical scroll aspect of Webtoon in terms of strip layout?
- How did you discover Webtoon and bring My Dear Cold-blooded King to the platform?
- How has your experience been with the fan community?
- Have you had a chance to attend any conventions and interact with both fans & fellow creators?
- Do you have any thoughts on the Webtoon creator community
Kate “Lifelight” Bio
Kate, known by the online alias “lifelight”, is actively living out her 12-year-old dream of being a comic artist. Her days are spent incoherently fawning over (and taking care of) her adorable son, goofing around with her amazing husband, and drawing pictures of her imaginary worlds. If she had free time, she would say she’d spend it hiking, but honestly, she’d probably spend it napping, because napping always wins.
WEBTOON™ is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, WEBTOON became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. Launched stateside in 2014, WEBTOON has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their WEBTOON to benefit user immersion. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics.WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4