In this episode we discuss;
Webtoon Wednesday – Warning Label & Cupid’s Arrows with Thom Zahler
The Comic Source Podcast
Join Jace for another Webtoon Wednesday as creator Thom Zahler talks about his recently concluded Webtoon strip and a new he just started. Both are funny, interesting and relatable as Thom explores the crazy world of dating and romance.
- Tell us a bit about yourself
- History with comics
- Transitioning to creator
- Warning Label
- Give us an idea of what Warning Label is about
- We really all could come with a warning label as we all being different quirks and foibles to relationships and they can change over time, it seems a natural fit for a story like this, growth as a person and growth as a couple. Was that an idea you initially wanted to explore or did it happen organically as the story progressed?
- What was the initial reaction to the strip like?
- As the story progressed was there anything that changed in a way that surprised you or did everything unfold as you expected?
- How much of Danielle and Jeff’s personalities and experiences are inspired by yourself or people you know?
- You‘ve become known for stories like this, about relationships, human interaction and how we navigate romance, what is it about them that inspires you?
- How difficult is it for you to find the different “voices” of the characters and keep them separate and distinct
- Were there any unanticipated challenges associated with creating this strip for Webtoon?
- Cupid’s Arrows
- Tell us about Cupid’s Arrows
- What are some of the specific ideas you are looking to explore in this strip?
- Tell us about the two cupid characters in this strip and what makes them unique
- Is this a story of Rick & Lora or a story of the couple they are trying to bring together, Kimberly & Dennis
- Do you feel like romantic love & physical attraction are enough in a relationship, because from the start it seems like Kimberly & Dennis are quite different
- Do you believe there is a “magical” aspect to love or is it all just physiological?
- How much of this story do you have plotted out?
- Can you take us through your art process?
- Anything else to share with our listeners
Thom Zahler is a comic book creator and animation writer. He created the Webtoon hit series Cupid’s Arrows and Warning Label as well as the Harvey-nominated Love and Capes, Long Distance, and the time-traveling wine comic Time and Vine. He also writes and draws for IDW’s successful My Little Pony series. He has written for Disney XD’s Ultimate Spider-Man and Knights of the Zodiac.
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #