In this episode we discuss;
AfterShock Monday – Stronghold Spotlight with Phil Hester
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with writer Phil Hester about hsi new title from AfterShock – Stronghold. It’s a big idea with a surprisingly intimate first issue.
writer – Phil Hester, Artist – Ryan Kelly, Colorist – Dee Cunniffe, Letterer – Simon Bowland
- History with comics
- Breaking in professionally
- From Artist to Writer
- Tell us what the story is about
- Do you feel it is a topical story in today’s world?
- What are some of the big ideas you are wanting to explore?
- Would you say this is a big sci-fi epic or a more intimate story with some romantic elements?
- What can you tell us about the main characters?
- The idea of destiny is an interesting but not original idea, how does Stronghold examine it in a different way?
- Talk to us about your artist on the series Ryan Kelly, how has the collaborative process been?
- Was the it easy for you and Ryan to find the right visual tone and mood for the series or did you go through several drafts before you feel like you got it right?
- What is it about Ryan’s style that suits this story so well?
- As an artist yourself, do you think that makes it easier for you to work with artists when you are just writing because you understand the challenges? Or is it tougher because they might do something differently than you may have?
- How has the experience been working with AfterShock?
- Anything else to share with our listeners?