In this episode we discuss:
Webtoon Wednesday – Outrage with Fabian Nicieza & Reilly Brown
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace is joined by two industry veterans to talk about their smash hit Webtoon strip Outrage. The legendary Fabian Nicieza & super-talented Reilly Brown, share the origin of this humorous story as it explores many relevant social topics. Plus some advice how how to break into the industry, when these two discovered comics as young readers and a whole lot more!
- History with comics, Did you grow up reading them?
- Breaking into the industry
- Previous work
- Give us an idea of what Outrage is all about
- I am very curious how this strip evolved, can you give us the origin from first concept to what we finally see in the story?
- Was there every any thought that you might be pushing too far in terms of topical political content?
- What would you say to those readers who say comics should be fun and not political? Like the classic comics of the past?
- Other than the obvious political commentary, there is also a social commentary aspect to the story as well, you’re both old enough to remember life before the widespread ubiquitousness of the internet, net gain or loss?
- Let’s talk about the technical aspect of the story, how much research did you do into the actual real world science of the tech in the story?
- Was there anything you changed from your initial idea from technical standpoint?
- The art in the strip is very interesting as well. A lot of technology such as pixels, code and imaginary virtual cyberspace environment are including, tell us about coming up with the look and feel of the title?
- What is the artistic process like in creating an individual strip, how much back and forth is there between the two of you? And do you sometimes go back and purposefully up the tech feel of a strip or just let it happen organically?
- How has the reception for the title been?
- If there is anything about the reception or fan reaction to the strip what would it be?
- You are both established industry veterans, have worked in the traditional print medium for awhile, why do digital with this story? And why Webtoon?
- Do you feel digital is the future of the medium?
- Do you feel digital is getting the attention and respect it deserves from the industry as a whole?
- What has been the biggest challenge of doing this digital only title?
- What’s your favorite thing about working with Webtoon?
- Would you recommend Webtoon as a viable way for someone looking to break into the industry?
- Do you think Webtoon is a good fit for established veterans looking for a place to tell a new story?
- Anything else you would like to share with our listeners?
Fabian Nicieza has been in the entertainment industry for over thirty years as a writer, editor, publisher and chief creative officer whose signature co-creation, Deadpool, has become one of the decade’s biggest entertainment and consumer product phenomenon for teens and adults.
- Over 1,000 comic book credits with over 100 million comics sold
- Co-created DEADPOOL, the Merc with a Mouth
- Creator of OUTRAGE, the Bully who Bullies the Bullies on the Internet! Debuting on WEBTOON in 2018
- Worked as an editor or writer on major franchises for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, and Disney; from Spider-Man to Superman, Barbie to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Winnie the Pooh to X-Men
Intellectual Property Development
- Co-created Mattel’s Hot Wheels: World Race for toys, video games, and television
- Developed characters, concepts and show bible for Lucha Underground wrestling show currently airing on the Netflix
- Co-founded and created FunGoPlay, a Webbie-nominated kids’ virtual world
Intellectual Property Management and Original Content Development for the world’s leading franchise developers including Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Disney, Electronic Arts, Fox Feature Films, Mattel, Microsoft, Hasbro, Ubisoft, Activision, Sony, and many more, on characters and properties including:
Ren & Stimpy
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Winnie the Pooh
Pirates of the Caribbean
Men in Black
Need for Speed
James Cameron’s Avatar
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man
And Many More…
New Jersey native Reilly Brown is a fan-favorite comic book artist and writer for Marvel and DC Comics, known for bringing a sense of character and personality to the projects that he works on, balancing a combination of light-hearted humor, with fast paced superhero action. These talents have been on full display in the pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, INCREDIBLE HERCULES, LOBO, and many other comics, perhaps most notably DEADPOOL, Marvel’s infamous, rapid-healing, merc-with-a-mouth!
He is also a pioneer in digital storytelling, utilizing new ways of making comics for tablets and smart phones with his creator-owned series POWER PLAY, as well as several stories for Marvel, including DEADPOOL: THE GAUNTLET, SLAPSTICK and many others.
Reilly currently draws the comic OUTRAGE, which can be read for free on Webtoon.
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #