In this episode we discuss;
Webtoon Wednesday – Siren’s Lament Spotlight
The Comic Source Podcast
Jace chats with Instant Miso the creator behind the hit Webtoon series Siren’s Lament.
- History with comics
- Decision to become a creator
- Journey to Webtoon
- Siren’s Lament
- What the story is all about?
- Choice of a classic Greek myth to tell a modern story
- How much research into the mythological Siren’s did you do?
- Let’s talk about the characters of the story, can you tell us how they have evolved over time from your original conceptions?
- Did you start out wanting to explore the themes of love & loss? Or did those themes happen organically over time?
- Do you have the end of the story in mind? Has it changed at all since you first conceived of the story?
- Tell us about the reaction when the strip was first released?
- Was there a moment when it became obvious to you that you had a hit on your hands?
- Talk to us about your feelings for the Webtoon platform itself?
- You started Siren’s Lament while still a college student, what were some of the challenges you faced trying to balance the two?
- Do you think that Webtoon is reaching the younger generation of readers?
- What would your advice be to someone looking to break into the industry and do you feel Webtoon is a viable way to do that?
Instant Miso Mini Bio:i nstantmiso is a full-time comic creator and student, who writes stories on Romance
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #