In this episode we discuss;
The Comic Source Podcast
Webtoons: Spotlight on Nothing Special with Katie Cook
Jace kicks off our weekly spotlight on some of the amazing titles available for FREE on the Webtoons platform. In our inaugural Webtoons episode we are joined by the super talented Katie Cook!
- History with Comics
- Becoming a Pro
- Previous work
- Web Comics
- Let’s talk about getting involved in publishing digitally, how did you first get involved with taking a comic online
- What were some of the challenges you faced and what has changed to make it easier for creators now?
- When it comes to Webtoons specifically, they offer a lot of support for aspiring creators or even established creators who may not have the experience with marketing and some other administrative aspects of the comic book world, can you tell our listeners a bit about that?
- What advice would you give to someone who is self-publishing, whether that be in print or online, maybe even with Webtoons, on how to get their work noticed and get to that next level?
- Tell us a little about “Nothing Special’ Your webtoons title.
- Your style could certainly be called cute, or cartoony, but you explore some pretty serious themes in your stories, fitting in or belonging, familial relationships, losing people close to you at a very young age. Do you explore these themes because you feel like they are universally relatable or it is because they interest you personally?
- I think your work on Nothing Special, much like your work on MLP shows that this types of bright fun stories can explore serious topics in ways that transcend any sort of demographic labeling. It doesn’t have to be”for girls” or “for boys”. Have you found that to be true?
- How has that idea changed since you started in the industry?
- Are you too busy working or do you have time to read any comics these days? Any favorites from Webtoons you would recommend beyond Nothing Special?
- You always have such a huge line at conventions, it’s got to be tiring, yet you still do so many, what is it about cons that has you out there so often?
- Any favorite fan interactions from over the years?
- Where should we expect to see you in 2019?
- Anything else you want to share with our listeners?
Webtoon is the #1 digital comics app, averaging more than 50 million monthly active users, with north of 10 million daily readers – more people read webtoons in one day than watch most television shows. Founded by NAVER Webtoon in 2004, Webtoon became a cultural phenomenon and pioneered the distribution and consumption of web-based comics – webtoons. Launched stateside in 2014, Webtoon has thousands of creator-owned titles with episodes updating daily. Webtoon features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The Webtoon app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. Webtoons take advantage of smartphone user scroll behavior as a benefit to the method of storytelling. Webtoon is always working to enhance the user experience with technology – including enhanced FX Toons, which allow creators to include music or animation in their Webtoon to benefit user immersion. Webtoon boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, Stan Lee, Top Cow/Image, and more. Webtoon takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. Webtoon creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards, as well as winning a multitude of Ringo Awards – including seven in 2018. Webtoon is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4
# # #