In this episode we discuss;
WEBTOON Wednesday – Darbi with Sherard Jackson
The Comic Source Podcast
- History with comics
- Journey toward becoming a creator
- Previous work
- Give us an idea of what the story
- What are some of the ideas you are looking to explore as a storyteller?
- Why choose dinosaurs to explore the ideas in the story?
- Right from the first few episodes we quickly realize this is a violent, visceral and brutal world, how do you use that to play off of some deeper emotional beats for the story with themes of loyalty, family and belonging?
- Has there been anything thematically that has surprised you as a storyteller as the strip has evolved?
- Any characters that have taken on a life of their own and turned out differently then you have planned?
- Take us through your process for creating a strip
- You seem to have really embraced the format of the vertical scroll even from the earliest episodes, can you talk a little bit about how you feel about this feature
- Another something about your art that really jumps out is the coloring, from your use of bright colors to the use of gradients with the vertical scroll it is very impactful for the story. Is color work something you really enjoy?
- Was color something that came naturally to you as an artist or did you have to work at it?
- How did the strip come to be on WEBTOON?
- What has your experience been like with the WEBTOON fan community and your readership?
- Darbi is a bit unique in terms of WEBTOON, being so hard-hitting and visceral do you feel like your fans really get what you are going for?
- Was there a moment where you knew your readers were really understanding and embracing what you are trying to achieve with the strip?
- How do you feel about Webtoon as an artistic platform?
- Have you had a chance to interact at all with the WEBTOON creator community? If so how did you find that experience?
- Anything else to add?
About the Creator – Sherard Jackson
Comics artist, animator, and former Cyber-Ninja, Sherard has worked for several independent comics companies including: Image Comics, BOOM! Studios, Devil’s Due Ent. His previous animation work includes the Warner Bros. film, A Scanner Darkly, and Collection Agency Film’s Flatland: The Movie
Check out Darbi
WEBTOON™ is the #1 webcomics app, averaging more than 55 million monthly active users, with north of 15 million daily readers, and more than 100,000,000,000 views annually – more people read web comics on our platform in one day than watch most television shows. Launched in 2014, WEBTOON has become a cultural phenomenon pioneering the distribution and consumption of web-based comics. WEBTOON features a broad and diverse catalog of content – including fantasy, romance, sci-fi, LGBTQ, and more. The WEBTOON app is free to download on Android and iOS devices. The content is free and downloadable, for reading when offline. WEBTOON boasts partnerships with Legendary, Lucasfilm, POW!, Top Cow/Image, and more. WEBTOON takes the comic experience to the next level by providing readers with daily curated content and giving creators an intuitive platform designed to help them easily publish and publicize their own original comics. WEBTOON creators have been nominated for multiple Eisner Awards – three in 2019, nominated for twelve Ringo Awards in 2019 as well as winning seven Ringo Awards in 2018. WEBTOON is available on iOS, Android, and desktop.
# # #
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTB2nsr9sA4